My best indicators of a product manager’s success are subjective:
- Does she have a roadmap agreed to by Engineering and Marketing (as a proxy for consensus building)?
- Does Engineering consider her a core part of their team (and not a technicallightweight)?
- Do Marketing and Sales see her as the source of product facts, strategy, and market intelligence?
- Do I trust her judgment, objectivity, whole product thinking, and personal integrity?
- Does the team show more focus (and less panic) over time?
- Are other departments trying to recruit or borrow her?